What we do
The ‘EU4Digital: Connecting Research and Education Communities (EaPConnect)’ project delivers digital infrastructure and solutions to the research and education communities in the Eastern Partnership (EaP) countries: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, the Republic of Moldova and Ukraine:
- establishing and operating a high-capacity broadband Internet network for research and education;
- integrating the national research and education networks with the pan-European GÉANT network, decreasing the digital divide;
- facilitating the participation of EaP scientists, students and academics in global R&E collaborations;
- deploying services that facilitate this global collaboration, and stimulating integration with GÉANT and other European e-infrastructure services;
- building knowledge, skills and community through workshops, training, mentorships, conferences and other events and initiatives.
Why we do it
Many of today’s challenges, such as climate change or environmental disasters, require global collaboration to tackle their specific local impacts. Like many countries, those in the Eastern Partnership region also face challenges such as security of digital information; the provision of quality healthcare; the loss of cultural heritage; and ensuring that all members of society can participate in the digital economy.
Research and education (R&E) are vital to combat these challenges and help create jobs. However, brain drain of talent from EaP countries undermines their ability to find their own solutions and to contribute their expertise to global collaborations. EaPConnect integrates EaP research and education communities into the global information society to help identify and deliver local solutions.
Researchers, academics, students and others in the research and education community need tailor-made Internet networks. NRENs (national research and education networks) offer such Internet networks that provide connectivity and services specifically for research and education.More information
Through EaPConnect, partners offer a portfolio of advanced services that can be used by connected institutions and their researchers, academics and students in the six Eastern Partnership countries.
Visibility & Engagement
EaPConnect works to ensure the long-term sustainability of its partners and its results, raising their visibility and showing their value through its communications, outreach and engagement activities.
These activities include:
- developing marketing communications skills and contacts;
- participating in international events and working groups;
- outreach to potential users of our networks and services.
Knowledge & skills
Through training events, workshops, meetings, mentoring and a series of ‘EaPEC’ conferences, EaPConnect supports the development of skills, knowledge and collaborative relationships among its partners and their research and education communities.
In this way, EaPConnect improves technical skills and service offerings, supports people networking, reduces brain drain, and works towards the long-term sustainability of these goals.More about conferences More about other events